Most people don't know how to handle big money
Mikhail Semyonov, кандидат психологических наук, docent, research interests - psychology of money and economic psychology:
Mikhail Semyonov. Photo: team-consult.ru
- According to statistics, order 70% lottery winners around the world are on the brink of bankruptcy within the next seven years after winning: thoughtless spending and inability to handle a huge amount of money affect.
Not everyone can use lottery winnings wisely. The more money, the more intelligent, and emotional effort must be invested in their conservation and rational use. A large amount is a resource, which must be protected from competing applicants for it: relatives, friends, crime. Example - the tale of the goldfish: having received a huge resource, no old man, no old woman could use it rationally.
Another problem is that after unexpected wealth, many lose touch with their previous environment., meet condemnation and even aggression. People envy them. This is one of the most important motives of human behavior., along with power. Many people want to get some of this money, and in case of refusal they take offense.
The vast majority of people do not know how to handle large (regarding past) money: nor earn, neither save, nor accumulate, nor is it reasonable to spend. Riding a bicycle and a truck are different things. Most people don't understand the difference between 1 million rubles, 100 millions or 1 billion. They all feel like a LOT. Well, of course, unearned money is valued less than earned. So winning the lottery for an ordinary person is primarily a risk.
What lottery really to win - what the statistics say
We looked at this issue from the perspective of probability theory. But you need to understand, that it works with a very large sample, about a million outcomes.
No other company has had such a large number of draws yet., therefore, lotteries are more interesting to consider from a statistical point of view.
Under the brand name "Gosloto" 4 state lotteries, we will consider the most popular - "5 out of 36". Held daily 5 draws, and the total number of copies exceeded 8100.
The statistics are quite interesting:
- Number of participants. Participates in each drawing from 10000 to 20000 tickets. At the same time, the largest number of participants falls on the evening draws.
- Drawn amounts. If we talk about circulation, in which there is no jackpot, then payouts range from 300 000 to 800 000 thousand rubles.
- Jackpot. The super prize is drawn on average every hundredth draw. That is, every 20 days another millionaire appears.
One of the most popular and oldest lotteries in Russia. Draws are held once a week on Sundays.
The site provides the following statistics:
- Number of participants. In the regular draw, from 2 500 000 to 3 500 000 tickets. In special, when remains 2 barrel, from 7 000 000. The first of January 2018 the record was set: in the drawing took over 45 000 000 participants.
- Drawn amounts. On a typical day, played out 100 000 000 — 120 000 000 rubles. For special editions, the amount is doubled. The record belongs to the January edition - 2 125 000 150 rubles.
- Fallen barrels. Most often numbers remain in the bag 83, 76, 78, 70, 37.
Winning chance. This indicator depends on the missing numbers. There are no official statistics on the site. But by simple mathematical calculations, the following result will be obtained: 4 barrel - 20%, 3 — 30%, 2 — 40%.
The name speaks for itself. All big prizes are real estate (country houses, cottages, apartments). The rules are exactly the same, as in "Russian Lotto". Only a lottery drum is used instead of a bag of barrels. Draw takes place once a week on Sunday.
The statistics for the draws are as follows:
- Number of participants. It is lower, than in the more popular "Russian Lotto". For standard - up to a million, for special draws - up to 2,5 million.
- Drawn amounts. In the standard draw, the draw is up to 80 million rubles. The record belongs to the January special edition, during which more than 310 000 000 rubles.
- Non-falling balls. Balls numbered are the least likely to take part in the game. 18, 72, 11, 70, 37.
In the past, one of the most popular representatives, and the main competitor of "Russian Lotto". IN 2015 ceased to exist, for unknown reasons. We wanted to compare the statistics of the "Golden Key" with existing counterparts, but there is no information.
The only thing, what we managed to find was a loud mention of, that during its existence it was played 2000 prizes worth more than 1 million each.
Sportloto is the oldest representative on this list. Draws are held every 15 minutes. Sportloto does not boast of large amounts paid. The maximum possible amount is 10 000 000 rubles. Biggest win, found by me in the archive - 63 000 rubles.
What are the lotteries
Lotteries are booming again. Someone sees in them an opportunity to get rich easily., for others, this is another type of recreation - to sit in front of the TV in the evening with the family, crossing out the cherished numbers.
If you are attracted by the prospect of making easy money under the guise of a hobby, it's time to buy a lottery ticket.
But let's first figure it out, what lotteries are there. Their main difference is the form of. There are two main types, which we will talk about.
The name speaks for itself. Results are known right at the point of purchase. It is necessary to erase certain fields on the ticket or open the envelope. Small winnings are paid out immediately on the spot. If you are lucky, then contact the organizers for a big prize.
They are divided into two types:
- The player fills in the fields himself.
- The ticket has filled fields.
There are no further differences. The lottery drum gives out balls with numbers, or the host takes kegs out of the bag, the drawn numbers must be crossed out. Draws are broadcast on the Internet or on TV. The results can be checked on the website, the honesty of most of them is beyond doubt, but the organizers are still in the black anyway.
In the following, this article will focus exclusively on draw lotteries..
Why are we afraid of random money
Alexandra Arkhipova, social anthropologist, Associate Professor at the Center for Typology and Semiotics of Folklore, Russian State University for the Humanities, Senior Researcher STEP RANEPA:
Alexandra Arkhipova. Photo: RFE/RL
- Our relationship with money is more complicated, what they used to think. We operate not only with the concept of "commodity-money-commodity", proposed by Marx, but also the rules of "moral economy" - that is, a set of ideas about how, how you should or shouldn't handle money. "Moral economics" in each culture has its own, special.
In Russia, ideas about money are largely associated with peasant communities. Our country was largely peasant, culture was changing, but some of her features have been preserved. This was superimposed on the Soviet ideology with its specific attitude to finance.. "It's a sin to think about money", "Big money - big problems" and so on.
In Soviet and post-Soviet society, survivors of total deficit, the principle of "Foster's pie" works. Anthropologist George Foster lived in Mexican villages in the 60s of the twentieth century and wondered: why are the inhabitants so poor, and any quick enrichment causes them a sharp rejection? So he put forward the theory of "limited good": money in resource-poor communities, wealth, any benefits can only be redistributed, they are not thought of as coming from outside. Imagine the pie, apple charlotte, which is equally divided. If one of the guests got an extra piece, then the other remains hungry.
Therefore, after winning the lottery, people sometimes face rejection of others.. Unexpectedly received a lot of money - it means, took someone else's share. There is also a view, that sudden enrichment is a health disaster, that you will have to pay for such luck. Hence the desire to part with the winnings as soon as possible - to spend it.
IN 2016-2017 years we have been recording interviews and conducting polls in some Russian cities. Asked residents: "Will you lift the bill, accidentally found on the street?»About half of the respondents firmly refused and motivated this by, that then something bad will happen to them. Because this money was not sent to them, and someone else, pier, you can't take someone else's.
But what to do, if we accidentally hit a piece of someone else's pie? Share this. This also manifests itself in our ideas about money.. If a young man receives his first salary, it is customary at work to "put down", set a table for colleagues, or give all the money to mom.
Sellers in the market tend to give more goods to the first buyer or sell them cheaper, fan the goods with the first bill earned of the day. Lottery winners give away a portion of the winnings, without even giving a report on this. People strive to give a piece of their good, to protect yourself from harm. Our moral economy tells us - share and maintain social balance, and then luck will return to you.
Is it possible to play foreign lotteries
Many view Russian lotteries with obvious distrust - they are essentially run by a private company, draws can take place every 15 minutes, and the authenticity of video broadcasts is suspicious for some.
Therefore, they are considering the option take part in lotteries of other countries. There are many such lotteries, they are mainly held in the USA and European countries.
But they have limitations. for example, the rules of the most famous American Powerball lottery allow to sell tickets only in the United States (even excluding a few states). But the rules also do not prohibit citizens of other countries from participating through intermediaries..
There are many intermediaries now (websites of some of them are blocked in Russia), who receive money from users from all over the world and buy lottery tickets for them directly in the US or EU.
They work not just like that, but they take more from users, what is the real cost of a lottery ticket. for example:
- MegaMillions: a ticket to the USA costs 1 dollars, and intermediaries sell them at 2-4 dollar;
- Powerball: US price is 2 dollar, from intermediaries - from 3 to 10 dollars;
- EuroMillions и EuroJackpot: price in the EU 2 euros, from intermediaries - from 4 to 8 dollars.
Foreign lotteries differ in that, that the sum of winnings and jackpots is orders of magnitude higher, than Russian lotteries. But it's harder to win in them.. for example, in Powerball you have to guess 5 numbers from 59 and 1 of 35. In the "Millions" - 5 numbers from 50 and 2 of 11.
As a result, the probability of winning is:
- Mega Millions (USA): 1:302 575 350;
- Powerball (USA): 1:292 201 338;
- EuroMillions (Spain): 1:139 838 160;
- The primitive (Spain): 1:139 838 160;
- EuroJackpot (ES): 1:95 344 200.
Taking into account the "predatory" commissions of intermediaries real winnings in foreign lotteries relatively low. But many play them, since the jackpot can be measured in hundreds of millions of dollars.